Friday, July 16, 2010

Canon balls

A few days ago, I started teaching at this Myanmar school for refugee kids English, -grammar, in particular. However, that has been an area I’ve always hated since high school! I just found NO USE IN knowing what a verb/ noun is! And with past participle etc oh goodness. But anyway, so I have officially taught them for a day.

My class consist of about 20 kids, between 8-13, but English level is roughly the same that’s why they’re in the same class. They are the most adorable kids on earth I swear!

First, I had to be a GOOD TEACHER and remember their names. Not mch help when a class has two josephs, two joshuas, two Thomases, and two graces. Oh the confusion! But after I’ve learnt who is who (base on their shirt colours so I’ll defo forget the next time I go), I went on to teach opposites for like one hour. The next hour was solely for hang man, and some useless stuff I can come up with just to fill time, like making everyone go in front and just talk. Lol

These kids really teach us the simplicity of life. How one can be contented even having so little. And they inspire me. Besides, they’re probably the most polite kids I’ve seen recently (you know how kids are nowadays, silly spoilt brats carrying handphones).

I step into the room and I’m greeted with GOOD MORNING TEACHER SUZHEN. NICE TO SEE U. I end the class and they go, THANK YOU TEACHER SUZHEN SEE YOU ON MONDAY. It’s lovely to see them so happy despite their condition you know! And during their lunch time, I thought I would just sit in a corner and mark their books you know, instead, two little girls come in with a bowl and a plate of rice in their hands and they give it to me. AAAAAAh. Kids. =)

After lunch, they told me, TEACHER DON’T GO. PLAY GAMES WITH US. So I sat down with them and played splat and this erm pass some stuff game, and they just conveniently forgot about me and started speaking in their native language! Grrr haha but of course, I must show nice face right, just sit there and laugh together lor. Then two teachers walk past the room and say some stuff sternly to them. Then this boy, Khai pi turns to me and says, “Teacher, they scold us, ask us must speak in English cos teacher don’t understand.” Hahaha. Made me laugh so much.

I shall take pictures of them soon! This guy, john, he’s only about 8 I’m thinking, he’s really puny okkk. And he has such a cute face, and cute attitude! Lol when the other kids were playing games, and I was just sitting there stoning, he quietly went outside to bring in a unicorn book and purposely sat near me. Then he softly reads (but loud enough for me to hear it), “once upon a time, there was a unicorn in…” and glancing up occasionally to see if I’m looking at him! Hahaha so cuteeeeeeee.

LOVE. Is when these kids know u have a bag to carry and they just dive in next to u and snatch the bag away from you to help you carry it. Or when they trust you so easily to just put their hand into yours and pull you somewhere.

I really don’t mind just staying here to teach them :P only thing I don’t like is that I’ve to prepare for the lessons and when class finishes and I get home I don’t feel like doing anything except sleep cos I’m so exhausted! And I get no me time and friend time.

But yesterday was a holiday! So I went for a girl day out with lumin and yen, wanted to watach back up plan!!! But time wasn’t right so watched street dance instead! It was quite inspiring actually ahahhahaha I should start to learn how to dance a little :P maybe do those wave stuff and aaaaa so cool!

I love their soundtrack cos it’s based on Canon, my favourite song.

Cause I know everything’s gonna be alright
Now you’re standing here right *by* my side
And we dance on, dance on, we gonna dance on
Ain’t gonna work for life when we know we can dance on

Everything’s gonna be okay
The streets will lighten up *our* way
So we dance on, dance on, we gonna dance on
Ain’t gonna work for life when we know we can dance on

3 comments:

rach said...

omg i wanted to teach the myanmar kids when i was on holiday, like before/ after africa but didnt get to do it. had no details besides.. the myanmar refugee kids lol. say hi to them for me!! or dont. they'll think youre crazy. haha. sounds fun. keep it up! i'd rather be doing that than... studying. *envy* sorta. (:

suhwei said...

HI TEACHER SUSAN!!
so fun ah huh!

Bonbon said...

VERY CUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE yes i love to teach them very much! hahahaha so nice! wish i could just stay there my whole life provided ppl supply me living cost! lol