Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Streeesssssball




Why isit that I am sad, after knowing that one of my kids is leaving for the U.S soon? It's not like i'm even there for them right now, and it's not like i'll be able to say bye, but why am I sad? I don't know.

After that short two months with them, my whole perspective of migrants/refugees changed, I would always look around me, smiling at people(who look innocent of course), and guessing : 'HAH! FROM MYANMAR! NO! FROM XXX.'

My kids have taught me so much, and how my heart goes out for them, like bringing them cake, it's like the year's biggest party ever. Jumping for joy, showing off that OUR class is better than yours because we have a cake, singing birthday song over and over again, and the smile across the birthday boy/girl's face because MY BIRTHDAY IS BEING CELEBRATED.

At such a young age, these boys are the best gentlemen you can ever find and dream of. When you step into the room, they make sure that you have a chair to sit, make sure that you have place for your bags. During lunch time, they make sure you get your food first before starting on theirs, they make sure your bowls are taken into the kitchen and not you doing it, after class, they help you carry your bags down and make sure you get into your car safely. Every morning, they wake up at around 4am to cook for the rest of the kids, going to the market and buying food for them.

I never wanted to go to university. If i had a choice ( of just letting go of my future, ie: no degrees and masters and all), I would just devote my time to them. Just being around them, listening to what they have to say, laughing along with them even though we cant communicate very well, singing along to their songs makes me happy and contented. My favourite kid is leaving to the U.S. why am I so sad!! Because these kids, they leave on their own, as orphans, and just try to fit into the society. At the age of 11/10, they are made to work, to be cautious of their surroundings and live in fear everyday. So, I guess leaving is a better option, because they can finally be citizens, and not be so fearful of the world outside.

I miss them.

Anyway, the new year is treating me well, with exams beginning this wednesday. Wooosh. Luck please!

4 comments:

Su-hwei said...

LIIIIKKKEEEEEEEEEEE.
i would soooo teach too. you should go volunteer for something there, like teach english

Su-en said...

dude john is going is it?? who who? i havent seen lil john!! dude when u come back lets start a creative class with them. papa asked! but i dont wanna start it alone

Bonbon said...

sh: i scared my english too cha for the kids here yo!

se: nopeeee. not john, sang pu , u wouldnt knw who that is, but he's in the 2nd photo, the red n dark blue shirt next to me.

sh said...

i just realised there's a cute chubby boy in yellow in the photos! hehehehe