I've always liked sundays. Because I get to go to sunday school to take care of kids. This year I had the chance of taking care of an autistic boy, aged 7 called hei hei. After 3 months, I know when his good days are and when his bad days are (which is only about 10% thank god). On this particular sunday few weeks ago, it was his bad day. No one knows when it's coming as it happens whenever it wants. He came into class just like normal, sat down on a random chair and I got to work trying to entertain him, trying to get him to communicate with me as usual and trying to play some hand sign games with him. However, 30 minutes in, he started throwing tantrums. Screaming, jumping up and down from his seat. I didn't know how to react to it. I just tried to make him sit back down on his small chair and calm down. 1 minute later, he started banging his hand on the table repeatedly and started crying. I knew the crying came from the pain from his hand and I couldnt do anything about it. We just had to crowd around him trying to figure out what was bothering him. This went on for some time while we tried to contact his dad. Later on, he started using that same hand and started hitting his head. I felt so helpless and wanted to cry. This poor boy who doesnt know how to communicate with us. How I really really wish I knew what was going through his mind.
Thankfully, after like a good whole 20minutes of this, he calmed down awhile as we brought him out for some fresh air. Needless to say, the whole class just went bonkers too as he made the class slightly chaotic with his noise haha. but thankfully he got back to his old cheery self kissing and hugging everyone after that. At that point of time when he was injuring himself, no matter how hard we tried to stop him, i just felt like crying. I wish we had a way to communicate with him. but he will always have a special place in my heart. He's the most open kid I've ever met (maybe cause of his situation). Don't know if he just does it in general, but I feel like a mom when he always tries to find my hand to hold it, and starts crawling around me and hugging me constantly ><
Thankfully, after like a good whole 20minutes of this, he calmed down awhile as we brought him out for some fresh air. Needless to say, the whole class just went bonkers too as he made the class slightly chaotic with his noise haha. but thankfully he got back to his old cheery self kissing and hugging everyone after that. At that point of time when he was injuring himself, no matter how hard we tried to stop him, i just felt like crying. I wish we had a way to communicate with him. but he will always have a special place in my heart. He's the most open kid I've ever met (maybe cause of his situation). Don't know if he just does it in general, but I feel like a mom when he always tries to find my hand to hold it, and starts crawling around me and hugging me constantly ><
No comments:
Post a Comment